Go Back   Runner > Canada Local & World Events > World News

World News Events Happening In our World

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-20-2021, 12:28 PM
Runner's Avatar
Runner Runner is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Moose Jaw
Posts: 240
Send a message via Skype™ to Runner
Default Friedrich Karl Berger: US deports ex-concentration camp guard to Germany

Friedrich Karl Berger: US deports ex-concentration camp guard to Germany

BBC News







image copyrightUS DOJ
image captionMr Berger has lived in the US since the 1950s
The US has deported a 95-year-old former guard at a Nazi concentration camp to Germany.

Friedrich Karl Berger, who has lived in the US since 1959, was flown out of the country on Saturday and has landed in Frankfurt.

Mr Berger has admitted working as a guard at the Neuengamme concentration camp but said he did not witness any killings or abuse of prisoners.

German prosecutors have dropped their case against him for lack of evidence.

Police are due to question him and it is not clear if he faces further action - his case could be revived depending on what he says.

A US judge last year ordered his deportation, saying prisoners at the camp were held in "atrocious" conditions, working "to the point of exhaustion and death".

During the trial, Mr Berger admitted he had prevented prisoners from fleeing the camp near Hamburg, north Germany.

media captionHolocaust survivors: The families who weren’t meant to live
Acting US Attorney-General Monty Wilkinson said Mr Berger's removal showed the administration's commitment "to ensuring that the United States is not a safe haven for those who have participated in Nazi crimes against humanity and other human rights abuses".

In an interview with the Washington Post, Mr Berger said he had been forced to work in the camp, spent a short time there and carried no weapon.

He expressed astonishment at his looming deportation, saying "after 75 years, this is ridiculous. I cannot believe it. You're forcing me out of my home."

German prosecutors have continued to pursue former Nazi camp officials.

This month a 95-year-old woman was charged with aiding and abetting mass murder for her role as a secretary at the Stutthof camp, while a 100-year-old man was charged on the same grounds for working as a guard at Sachsenhausen.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-20-2021, 12:29 PM
Gecko's Avatar
Gecko Gecko is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 6
Default

When is it time to say enough is enough 95 years old
this isn't fixing the problem its creating the problem
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2020 - 2021, Runner
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger